Thursday, December 04, 2008

Tales of Beedle the Bard

**SQUEAL!**
JK Rowling's newest book just came out: The Tales of Beedle the Bard.


No it's not another Harry Potter. JK wrote this one just for her kids after HP. There were originally only fourcopies made: three for her kids, and one to auction off for a children's charity (Children's High Level Group charity). Amazon (as in amazon.com) got the winning bid. With a promise to donate some proceeds to the CHLG charity, Amazon has exclusively republished TOBB. There are two different versions: the Collector's Edition and the Standard Edition.
The Standard Edition has come out as a hardcover (for now) with a cover by the same artist who did HP.
The coveted Collector's Edition is made to closely resemble the original printing. The original first publishing of TOBB was placed in a leather-bound, jewel-encrusted, silver-leafed version with JK doing the all illustrations. The Collector's Edition also includes 10 additional illustrations not found in the original. The TOBB book, complete with metal skull and replica gemstones, and bonus illustrations are sent tucked away in it's own velvet-lined case disguised as a wizarding textbook.

Of course, I want both editions. The Collector's Edition because it is very limited and very coveted (and very beautiful): thus making it almost "sacred" as far as personal libraries go. The Standard Edition because I want to actually read it, and read it to my kids. The Collector's Edition I would hand down, hopefully, generations.

I'm so excited that they came out today! It's wonderful that it's going to charity. I'm such a (I can't think of a good word) when it comes to books. I hope to one day fullfill my dream of a wonderful personal library that I can share with others that looks like all the ones in the movies.

No comments: